Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A call for posts for the inaugural edition of The Accretionary Wedge: Why do you study geology?

As of 8/28/07: ...Or Something is now called CLASTIC DETRITUS and has moved to: http://clasticdetritus.com/

You can find this post exactly as it is below here. Kindly put any comments there, but I will be checking both to make sure nothing is missed. Thanks!

This move does not affect The Accretionary Wedge geology carnival...it will simply be hosted at my new blog (which is pretty much the same as this blog). Sorry for any confusion or hassles!

--------------------------

If you are first hearing about the geology blog carnival, read this post and associated comments first.

We are organizing a geology blog carnival called The Accretionary Wedge.
What is it and how does it work?

  • write a post related to the chosen theme
  • one blogger will collect the posts and then distribute/announce
  • there will be a different host each edition (me for this one)
  • looks like about once a month (more-or-less) is a good frequency

Okay, so for the inaugural edition of The Accretionary Wedge we have come to a consensus that it would be a good idea to introduce ourselves to each other and the blogosphere at large by writing about why you study geology in the first place. What aspect of Earth/planetary science fascinates you the most? How or when did you decide this was the path for you? And so on.

This topic is purposefully wide open. It can be technical, it can be funny, it can be serious. As The Wedge evolves we will come up with other more focused topics. For this first one, it would be nice to just see the breadth of expertise and personalities the geoblogosphere has to offer.

Please e-mail me links to your post by 6pm (Pacific time) this Sunday (9/2). I will then put them together and release later that evening (with short blurbs introducing each submission). Please put the word "wedge" somewhere in the subject of your e-mail so I can filter it. My e-mail is in the "About Me" box on the sidebar.

If this timing is too soon, we can move it (although I will be out of town and away from computer from Wed 9/5 to Mon 9/10). If I don't hear anything in the comments below, I'll assume this works for everyone.

Please pass this announcement on to other geology bloggers!

Finally, although it's not necessary a simple logo for the carnival would be cool. We can discuss that in the comments below.

3 comments:

Mel said...

Thanks for the warm blogosphere welcome. I'll work up a post for the accretionary wedge's first carnival. And the "thermo and chrono aristocracy" doesn't have anything on the "sedie-bourgeoise."

Chris said...

For anyone wondering, 6pm 02/09 Pacific Time is 0100 03/09 UTC/GMT.

Which gives me all weekend to write something good... and set up my new geology and science-themed blog.

I'm willing to whip up a logo too. I'll submit a few ideas as I come up with them.

BrianR said...

yorrike...thanks for posting the time...good idea

glad you are getting a blog going!

I have messages all over this blog, but in case someone's missed it. My blog has moved to a different URL and has a new name (otherwise is the same)

http://clasticdetritus.com/