Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Blogging in 7 minute increments

I haven't blogged in a while -- it's been really hectic around here. But, I finally have some free time...the only catch is that in comes in increments of approximately 7 minutes in duration. I am spending the next few nights dating some detrital zircons on the SHRIMP. A couple of months ago, I posted about this avenue of research here. Each grain takes about that long to cycle through...there's a few numbers to be checked and recorded, and then you move the beam on to the next grain.

The good news is that colleagues in my research group are willing to help me out with this analysis. The bad news is that since the machine runs 24/7 and they are my samples, i'm the one who gets to sit here from 7pm until 7am....good times. I don't mind working the graveyard shift, but I really have a hard time the first night...once ya get into the groove it's not so bad. There is something a little strange being opposite from the rest of society though. One of the several random jobs I worked during college was as a night watchman -- it is definitely a lonely existence. Some people work these hours for years and years...I don't know how they do it.

Anyway....hopefully, I'll have a chance to catch up on the latest in the geoblogosphere....in 7-minute increments.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Night watchman... ever see anything cool? How about them Sabres tonight?